double-hitting hammers

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:57:52 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/02 9:15:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
doepkeb@comcast.net writes:

> Hello List,
> I have a customer with a Kimball console complaining of hammers that
> "double hit" (that is her quote).  I suspect that "blubbering" is another
> name for it.
>
> Any suggestions on what to look for or adjust?
>
> thank you
>
> Brian Doepke

Brian

Kimballs have, from time to time, had trouble with keybeds warping. The
middle of the keybed raises. When this happens, key dip is reduced, causing
bobbling hammers. The solution is to install a piece of angle iron under the
keybed, to straighten it out, and keep it from happening in the future. You
want to install this either behind the kick board, or in front of it, making
sure you leave enough room to be able to remove the kick board, but far
enough back so that a person's knees don't hit it.

On the other hand, it might be that only a couple of hammers are bobbling,
caused by something lodged under a key.

Wim