WTC Pianos

Thomas A. Sheehan tsheehan@nyc.rr.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:44:39 -0400

Robert,=20

I used to tune the pianos in the Marriott WTC Hotel, which was located =
at the base of the twin towers, right in between them. They had a Yamaha =
C3 and a Yamaha G2 for the 1st floor ballrooms, and a Yamaha GH1 just =
outside the Greenhouse Restaurant on the 2nd floor.=20

Needless to say, they were typical institutional pianos: "nobody" owned =
them, and the only concern was getting them in tune for a given event. =
They were all about 10 years old, and in terrible shape. I did keep all =
the keys working, however. I also think that Dan Franklin (DuplexDan) =
was also called in occasionally to tune the pianos.

What I am most gratified about is that the young people who used to call =
me to book tunings all made it out alive. Typical young people - recent =
college grads - on their first responsible jobs - in catering sales & =
management - eager, energetic and engaging. I was so relieved to hear =
that they all survived!=20

The building, a/k/a WTC3, was completely crushed by the falling towers. =
I suppose that the restaurant on the top floor of one of the towers, =
"Windows on the World," had a piano, but I don't know that for a fact. =
There also might have been private dining rooms with pianos.

What a nightmare!=20

Sincerely,

Tom Sheehan, RPT
New York City Chapter