Estimating guidelines?

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 07:16:00 -0700

List, I will have some grand action regulation work this winter. It's been 20 years, and I think things will take me a bit longer than they would if I were doing this all the time. A 100-year-old Steinway; a Yamaha C-something; a Kawai. On this set of three pianos, I will be doing everything from bedding the keyframe to tuning or muting the duplex. There are lyre repairs needed, a few chipped ivories; hammers are good but blow is too short in one, there's actually lost motion in another, aftertouch isn't enough, and (help me with the term I can't think of) the moment after backcheck, when the hammers are supposed to rise an eighth of an inch before they drop back, the repetition springs are too strong and they bounce up almost to the string before falling. There is music desk felt missing, and and and. I haven't measured touchweight yet. My client would like a proposal. Is there a published guide to how long each of these kinds of tasks ought to take?

Franks