Old Timers Please Vote was Loose Tuning Pins Solution

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 20:01:06 -0500

I have had excellent results with the old #80 or #60 sandpaper shims. And
haven't noticed any jumping  or other naughty behavior on the part of the
shimmed pins.

What advantages do you see in using the leather?

How about leather vs. sandpaper vs. veneer strips?

And just to really stir the sewage, I just did extensive work on a 1910
Chickering upright. The pinblock had obviously been doped--a real mess of
classic stains--and it had to have been done more than 15 years ago. It has,
mostly, very old rusty strings and rusty 2/0 pins but ...

The reason I went ahead with other repairs (dampers, trapwork, etc.) after
laying all this out for the customer,  is that this piano has a goo solid
feel to all pins, there was no major jumping, squeaking, slipping, or
anything. It tuned up very nicely (or as nicely as old rusty strings that
were from 30-200+ cents flat--in a steamy September--and not tuned in many
years).

I told them (not-for-profit nursing home) it will want retuning in three
months ... so I'll know much more, then. But ...

Questions: When do y'all consider doping a legitimate option and how often
can this sort of success occur? What are more typical experiences, long
term? What factors might make a difference in the success rate? Any
preference for the CA drips  (the techniques, not the techs) that were
discussed here a few weeks ago?

Finally "How is GEICO able to make such silly radio commercials?"
"Don't know."
" All right, then."

Alan Barnard
Shimmin' in Salem, MO