Tips, tricks and tools

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 06:51:01 -0400

At 11:50 PM -0700 10/2/02, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>This voicing tool made out of brass rod, what happens when the needle
>breaks!? How are you going to replace it, if it's soldered in?
>Seems to me that a set screw would be a better way to go. Easy to do. <G>

Ask a set screw to hold the needle(s) in and immediately you need
something the diameter of the Hart voicing tool.  A fine tool but
with that fat a shank a little limiting in some through-the-string
work you might want to do. I've got two needles set in the end of
5/32" braising rod, which I've made into the 12' handle for a rubber
mute.

It's meant for light crown work, not deep shoulder needling, and if
you break off a needle doing 2mm stitching, something is seriously
wrong.

Check the PTJ CD-ROM for "Calligraphy Tool".

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later...."
     ...........Miles Davis