Universal bass string replacement

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 07:36:16 -0400

Benny,

I use the "Universal Bass String and Tuning Pin Gauge" from Schaff, catalog
#344, page 59, $1.44.  I have never taken into account the core size.  I measure
the old string and then match the sizes by the gauge.

I have not always been happy with the outcome and am beginning to shy away from
using universal strings except in a true emergency or if the piano is so
decrepit anyway that the cheapest way is the best way.  I am trying splices
oftener.  I have never checked the diameter of the universal string with the
gauge, an oversight on my part that may be why some strings sound pretty
terrible.  It never occurred to me that I need to check the replacement string's
diameter, not just rely on the size number.

Regards,
Clyde