Laying Down on the Job

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 06:55:56 -0500

>Maybe I'm just lucky, but at 172cm/11stone, I regularly tilt 243s/P22s up
>to balance point to slip dolly under for moving.
>I do need help on the 56"ers...
>
>Conrad Hoffsommer

Some years back, I had to move a half dozen players, four uprights and two
grands. The neighborhood weight lifter volunteered to help. Heck, how hard
can it be to lift a piano with muscles like those, right? I had him run the
dolly for the first two uprights, so he could get used to the idea a little
at a time. On the third, he grabbed the end saying "I'll get this one",
heaved and groaned, repositioned, HEAVED and GROANED, and gave up. I said
"Let me show you something", stepped over and grabbed the handle in the
back with one hand, held the other hand in the air, planted my shoulder
against the side, and stood up. The poor guy was really embarrassed until I
explained how the leverage worked, and how to distribute the strain among
the muscles that can best handle it. He was a good sport about it and tried
again. Went right up. One hand. Right up. This was the only time I've ever
seen anyone enthusiastic about "getting" to lift the next one.

There are limits, naturally, to what any given individual is equipped to
lift, but technique is a big part of it. For instance, when setting up
grands in the shop my myself, I employ a modified version of the chain
hoist position. One of my favorites.

Ron N