Leverage and Dip

Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:12:50 -0700

Bill:

You're right in that the formula is not very practical in it's application.
However, measuring the action ratio by comparing key travel to hammer travel
is useful and need only be measured to the point of jack contact with the
let-off button to give a usable number.  In fact, I've gone to using this as
a preliminary measure rather than the multiple samples method that, I
believe, we both use.  The method for measurement requires calipers but can
be done very easily on the bench or in a customer's home.  Depress the key
to a known quantity using calipers in the locked position secured under the
key frame.  While holding that steady with one hand measure the distance the
hammer has travel upward when compared with it's neighbor.  Divide hammer
travel by key travel and you have the action ratio.  Take measurements at
each end of the key board and in the middle and you have a fairly good sense
of what's going on.  Figure the action ratio will change by .4 for each mm
change in the knuckle placement or for each 2 mm change in the capstan
placement.  You can use these figures to estimate the change required to get
the targeted ratio.  Try samples using Stanwood formulas to calculate
SW-FW-BW relationships to see if you are on target.

I have found that targeting a specific action ratio works best for me.  Once
there I know the range of what I can accomplish given a certain hammer set
and targeted FW maximum level and balance weight.  I am finding that setting
the ratio up at 5.75 gives me the regulation specs that I want: .390 dip and
1.75 blow or the equivalent in metric.  For instruments requiring longer
blow distances I aim for 5.85.  By plugging this number into the Stanwood
equation it is very easy to calculate the hammer weights I will need
beforehand and I can specify with hammer manufacturers the unbored,
untapered weight of the hammers.  On a concert instrument that means I will
have to push up the balance weight or FW closer to maximums to accommodate a
slightly heavier hammer and slightly higher ratio.

As far as R.B.'s question goes, I think it is better to determine what
action ratio sets up for the dip and blow distance that you need and go from
there.  Unless you feel compelled to wander outside of those parameters for
some reason, you want monster hammers, or you are changing hammers only on a
system where changing the geometry is not in the scope of the job, this
allows for consistency from job to job and eliminates much of the futzing.

David Love