Hammer resurfacing and electric shavers

Carol Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 20:20:44 -0400

Some of you may remember that I traveled to Iceland 20 months ago to visit a
a young piano technician participant on this list, Kristinn, and his father,
Leiff, also a piano technician.  Leiff was experimenting with voicing
hammers with a Braun electric shaver that is not available in this country.
However, I was able to find a very similar model when I got home that had
the same micro screen for $19 at CVS.   I finally had an opportunity to try
this technique on a church piano often accompanied by drums.  Wow! Talk
about fine resurfacing!

The advantage of this method was that the tops of the hammers came out
perfectly straight - and they were beautiful  and smooth.  Also too much
power, but that is what voicing needles are for.  The foil on the shaver can
do 3 hammers at a time.  This is definitely a technique worth pursuing, but
there were a few pitfalls:

1) rough in the shape first with a file.  While I was also at CVS, I bought
a package of those dark black emory boards for filing fingernails.  Since
they have a foam core, they are flexible.  I thought they did a better job
than any rigid sanding stick I had ever used.

2) Only use the shaver for the final "cut".  I played around on the larger
hammers without roughing in the shape first, so I shaved through the foil
about half way through the set.  I continued to use the shaver after the
foil was obliterated, but it gave a nicer appearance to those hammers before
I broke the thing.

3) The model shaver I bought is no longer available, or replacement foils.
That is okay this time because there was enough money in the job to spend
the $21 on the equipment.  I checked at Target and priced new shavers at $30
and extra foils for $25.  Perhaps there are cheaper Braun single
microscreens out there somewhere else.  Also, mine was electric, instead of
a rechargeable battery.  I would recommend this for a whole set, but there
are advantages of having a battery operated unit for occassional touch-up
use.  The cord not getting in the way being a big advantage.

I think this technique has promise, but there needs to be a way to not have
to buy a new electric shaver everytime you want to resurface a set of
hammers!

If you think this idea is crazy, you should try working in this city!  Talk
about a  "day in the life"!  Five people were shot and killed by sniper fire
today in the neighborhood I was working! ..and the sniper is still at large.
It was also the neighborhood I lived as a teenager.  And to think, within
the last 24 hours, I was informed that my second grandchild is on the way!
Enough for one day.

Carol Beigel