Tips, tricks and tools

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 22:26:01 EDT

For years I have used a homemade vertical lid prop like the one described in
the Journal a few years back (pedal prop with sound board button and front
rail punching on one end and going through a leather-padded stick on the
other.

As I occasionally forget a tool at a customer's home, this lid prop has more
than once stayed behind until the next visit, leaving me to come up with a
substitute lid prop in the meantime.  In my junk box I found a likely piece
of metal to substitute for the leather-padded stick:  the top half of a
broken pelican spring!  Glued a buckskin strip on it (after grinding the
broken edge smooth and punching out a hole in the leather) and voila!  Added
the other pieces and got a serviceable lid prop.

Bill Maxim, RPT
Maxim Piano Service
Columbia, SC