A question about treble strings

Sat, 5 Oct 2002 10:59:19 -0700

Depends on the piano, length, scaling, but usually 1/4 lb is plenty with
leftovers for each size except where you have long stretches of a single
gauge (like #17).  There, 1/2 lb will be plenty.  To be honest, I've never
really tried figure out how much each size will yield.  Treble wire is
cheap, total cost of wire is probably under $50 if you are using 1lb coils,
so the cost of it should be a relatively small factor in pricing a
restringing job.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Newman" <philip@pianoaction.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 05, 2002 10:41 AM
Subject: A question about treble strings

I've always had difficulty in judging the cost of treble wire used in
re-stringing a piano. Because certain sizes of wire run out before others
(the thicker ones, usually), one is never able to say "Well, if one has 1 lb
of wire in all the sizes from 13 though 22, one can restring x number of
pianos."

I think if I knew the length of wire contained in 1 lb of each of the sizes
of piano wire, I could accurately figure out the cost of treble
re-stringing. Does anyone know where these specs. could be found?

THanks,
Philp Newman, RPT
Winnipeg, MB