Rounding off - Was: A question about treble strings

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 05 Oct 2002 20:45:04 -0400

I have never restrung a piano.  I've replaced some individual strings from the
1/3 lb. reels I keep.  I could probably give all the plain strings away and it
wouldn't make $20 difference in my annual income.  I charge $1 per string.  The
wound strings are considerably higher, of course, sometimes much higher,
depending on my cost.

I remember about fifteen years ago seeing a sign in a piano retailer's showroom
which stated the minimum parts charge was $8.  My minimum parts charge is $1,
and if it's just a bridle strap, hammer shank or a couple paper punchings I
usually charge nothing at all.

For what it's worth, except for the minimum parts charge I round everything down
to whole dollars and have been doing so for years, both labor and parts charges
(not taxes, though).  If the parts cost $8.70 the client pays eight bucks.  No
one objects to this policy.  Messing around with pennies and dimes is too much
trouble.  It just isn't worth it, in my book.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA