L.O.S.S.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:57:02 EDT

In a message dated 10/6/02 9:44:53 PM Central Daylight Time, Tvak@aol.com
writes:

> If anyone has an idea, I'd be interested to understand why one perfectly
> good
> brand new string vibrates better than the one right next to it.
>
> Tom Sivak

Tom

As Jon indicated, it has nothing to do with the strings. It is a voicing
problem. Unless this is a Steinway, the best way to get more sustain out of
these hammers is to deep needle at about 10 and 2 o'clock.

To get more equal sustain in the 5th and 6th octaves, as a sample I use a
note just past where the dampers end. Using a sharp blow, listen for the
sustain. To get that same sound, I use the sustonuto to hold up the last 6 -
10 dampers, and give each note the same sharp blow. I voice each hammer to
get the same sustain on all of these notes.

Wim