Leverage and Dip

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:37:19 -0400

At 11:21 PM +0200 10/4/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>but if you wanted a 10 mm dip (for whatever reasons), just what range
>there was for choosing a ratio ?

The limits are the same as they've always been. On the high end of
the ratio it's how light a hammer you're willing to put up with as
higher ratios become increasingly weak at lifting weight. On the low
end, it's how  high you can stand to set the sharps at rest above the
naturals (oh, that's right, we've got a fixed dip) or how high the
hammer line is before you can't pull the action out from under the
pinblock.

At 11:21 PM +0200 10/4/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>If I am not mistaken another aspect of this ratio is the speed of
>hammer travel
>to key travel as well....

Visualize that as angular motion. An action will give so many degrees
of swing to the hammer shank for a given number of degrees of dip.
It's another manifestation of the ratio.

At 11:21 PM +0200 10/4/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>I tend to agree with David about the distance / weight ratio
>correlation. I just cant see how it can be any other way. The ratio is simply
>the ratio.

I agree, but with a reservation. I just suspect that both measures of
the ratio have aspects which need cleaning up. In the weight
measurement of ratio, it's the unpredictable behavior of friction. In
the linear measurement it's the conversion of the length of lever
arms (regardless of orientation with "up" and "down") to the angular
motions of pivoted lines. I can't guarantee that a correlation
between the two wouldn't be skewed because the continuing error in
each approach might pull the accuracy of each in different directions.

At 11:21 PM +0200 10/4/02, Richard Brekne wrote:
>Using the balance equation then you can insert this ratio, your
>known SW's and FWs and
>WBW which you have also physically measured, and solve for BW. If, when you
>begin to actually measure BW you find variances, you know these have
>to do with
>friction related issues, or small variances governing leverage (i.e. knuckle
>angel and the like). Doing this allows you to further even out the resulting
>touch quite a bit really.

Yes, but the original question was not whether the linear ratio is
the numerical equivalent to the weight ratio. Rather it was, is there
someway of determining what the working range of action ratio would
be if you limited the dip to 10mm. The real answer isn't limited by
anything in the SBR ratio, but by the case itself (specifically the
action cavity height).

There might seem to be another answer, but you have to choose between
cranking the LO button out of the way, and making your observations
on an action with no escapement, drop or aftertouch. Or simply
accepting the fact that once the jack hits the LO button, you no
longer have a direct correltation between the motion on the key and
the hammer. Which means that you have to abandon the full dip
(including escapement and aftertouch) as an sample during which to
observe the effect of action ratio on ones ability to regulate the
action.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math
On the other hand, i could be way out in left field.