worn out treble strings. was Re: L.O.S.S.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:14:21 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/02 4:07:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
oleg-i@wanadoo.fr writes:

> Mike, may mean that an old wire that have been beaten to death with hard
> worn hammers, is unlikely to produce a good sustained tone, what I believe
> absolutely.
>
> Isaac Oleg

It is generally accepted that bass strings become dirty, and thus become
dull. And when a new bass string is put on, one can hear a definitely
difference between the new and the old strings. That is why a new set of bass
strings makes a piano sound much better.

But when we replace a treble string, there is no difference in sound, at
least not that I can hear, regardless of how old the piano is. (within
reason).

So, is there a reason, other than rust, why treble strings should be
replaced?

I asked this question last year on CAUT, and no one really had answer, except
one technician said that by replacing the strings, dirt and dust will be
removed from the contact points, agraffs, etc., which might have cause
buzzing, or other noises.

Wim