Stats

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 22:51:32 -0600 (MDT)

>Your email to <dkvander@joplin.com> with subject "Stats" had an attachment
>named "RCMAN.CFG.exe"

I've had a couple questions about this post, so I
thought I'd follow up and explain what it means.

We currently catch any messages with attachments that
are programs before they go out on the lists.  These
messages get held for checking by a volunteer from the
Electronic Communications Committee.  If the attachment
could be a program, the volunteer trashes the message
and it doesn't go out on the list.

Looking at the post quoted above, the virus attachment name
ended with ".exe" and that is one of our disallowed file extensions.
Look at the pianotech archives and you'll see no message with
that attachment was posted through the list.  The quote says:

	Your email to <dkvander@joplin.com> with subject "Stats" had
	an attachment named "RCMAN.CFG.exe"

But there has not even been a post to pianotech with the Subject:
"Stats" in recent history.

The message quoted might cause one to draw the conclusion
that a virus was sent to Dkvander via the list, but it just isn't
so.  The message with the virus would have gone to everyone else on
the list (including me) and it would be in the pianotech archives and
it isn't.

So why did this happen?  Remember that the virus programs forge all
the information in the mail headers.  They make up a Subject: line,
they make up a To: line, they make up a From: line.  Internet mail
allows those lines to contain ANYTHING and that information is not
validated in any way.  This means that anyone can send you a mail
messages saying it came from andy@rudoff.com or anyone else and
nothing prevents it.

The virus programs use this fact to throw people off.  The virus
typically scans all your files, looking for patterns to use as