Lacquered Strings & Baldwin Identity

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:19:17 -0400

Hey, want to know how to stop treble strings from rusting? Lacquer them!

I tuned (sort of) an old Baldwin Hamilton (maybe) microgrand (five-foot max) yesterday that a lady had recently bought from a local tech/tooner who has quite a reputation locally. This thing must have had 300 feet of thread holding the hammer shanks together! The dude had managed to refinish the soundboard and plate without removing the strings! Guess what happened to the strings!!!. This little rascal had bad false beats even down in the third octave. YIKES! "Custom" features were too numerous to describe.

The piano was refinished and the dude put a "Baldwin" decal on the fallboard. The owner and I would like to try and determine if this piano really was a Balwin and or Hamilton. I think it could be even be a Brambach! There is no name on the plate or anywhere else. The action has those funky knuckle-integral-with-the-shank knuckles. Is anyone aware of any distinguishing features of the OLD Baldwin/Hamilton microgrands - plate shape or whatever? Thanks.

Terry Farrell