need help on an appraisal

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 09:44:21 EDT

In a message dated 10/8/02 11:56:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
Wimblees@aol.com writes:

> Gordon
>
> For insurance purposes the piano is a 1915 model, that had some work done
> to it. Even if that work was done perfectly, the fact is, it is still a 85
> year old piano. For insurance purposes, I would put a 1915 S&S Model M's
> value at about $7500.
>
> Over and above that thought, though, be sure to tell your customer about
> replacement insurance. That is a rider on a homeowner policy, that will
> replace any old thing with a new thing. In other words, if his house burns
> down, even if he didn't have the piano appraised, he would get a new M, as
> long as the cost of repairing his old one didn't exceed the cost of buying
> a new one. Since it most likely will not do that, he will get enough money
> to get his piano completely rebuilt. If he had it appraised for $7500, and
> the piano was destroyed, he would only get $7500, to either get it repaired
> or towards a new one.
>
> Wim

Wim and Gordon, I have not seen a Steinway "M" in that price range for
several years and I am talking wholesale prices.  I do not want to inflate
the value of used Steinways but just to find a rebuildable "M" to restore
will cost in the $10,000.00 range, (I have bought 4 in the last 2 years).  If
the Steinway we are talking about gets destroyed the owner would find it
nearly impossible to replace it with just $7500.00.
My vote would be in the $12,000.00 to $15,000.00 range depending on the
condition.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW