need help on an appraisal

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:14:35 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/02 9:42:33 AM Central Daylight Time, Wimblees@aol.com
writes:

> David
>
> If you're paying $12,000 for a rebuildable Steinway M, what are you able to
> sell if for after you've rebuilt it? A total rebuild, including finish, new
> board, block, strings, etc., will be in the $15 - 20,000 range. That would
> put the selling price about $25 - $30,000. A brand new M can be bought for
> that figure.
>
> Wim

Wim, you are correct that the cost of a rebuildable Steinway is at the upper
limit for speculation.  I paid in the $10,000 range not $12,000 and since I
rebuild the pianos myself  the costs run me around $8,000, that puts the
total at around $18,000.  Though Steinway "M"s can be a little slow to sell
they will still bring $25,000 as quickly as a brand new $30,000 "M."

What Gordon is talking about is a different thing entirely, his customer
needs to know how much insurance he needs in case the piano is damaged and
needs to be replaced.  Most customers do not have the ability to find and
purchase a piano at wholesale prices, especially in fairly good condition.
If I purchase a Steinway for $10,000 you can be sure it will need complete
restoration (unless I get real lucky).  It sounds like this customers piano
is in fair, playable condition, how could he possibly find a replacement
piano the same condition for $7,500?
I will purchase every "M" I can find for $7,500, but the problem is where do
you find them?

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW