need help on an appraisal

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 21:41:42 EDT

In a message dated 10/9/2002 9:39:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Kdivad@aol.com
writes:

> I don't know, I've been out of the wholesale purchasing business for over a
> year. Are older M's bringing $10 - 12,000 these days? That sounds awfully
> high to me.
>
> Wim
                                    Wim
                                    Rebuildable stwys of any condition are
hard to find. I purchased 2 M's in the last year. One for 5k and the other
for 4K. Right place right time. I did not replace the boards in either piano.
They got blocks and strings, action and one got finish. I made money on these
but I don't even look for basket case M's any more because I can't come out
on them.
      On problem is that folks who have a stwy for sale think it's worth more
than they are. When  I calculate whether to buy a spec piano I figure my
regular rebuilding fees, the cost of the piano, financial holding costs and
whether there will be a profit above costs and labors. If there's no profit
all I've made is an extra job without payment till the sale is made. If no
profit then you're right the money would be better off in some other
investment (Not the stock market)
    I'm hoping since the retail prices have come down it would be nice to see
wholesale drop as well. As long as people,techs, etc. are paying too much at
wholesale level then this will keep the market inflated.
            Dale