Which ETD?

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 22:50:39 -0400

I've read everyone's reviews of the Verituner, and don't doubt that
it has brought the calculation of a tuning up a notch from RCT,
TuneLab and SAT by 1.) working from the basis of an 88-note sample
rather than a 5-note sample (Obviously more accurate if the VT has
its samples on hand before the tuning instead of as they come in
during the tuning pattern), and by 2.) paying attention to *all*
coincidental partials in an interval instead of just one.

But having taken my RCT laptop out for showtime this summer, it's
clear that the only practical ETD is one the size of a Compaq iPaq in
the Spurlock clip holder. So the big question for me as I count my
pennies towards a major jump towards an ETD is: is the slight drop in
the precision of the tuning calculation greater than the ease of use
of an iPaq unit which fits in a shirt pocket, and can be moved from
Tuning pin to tuning pin? (This also allows the built in mic to do
its best work.) Richard Brekne seemed to conclude that the
differences in the calculated tuning were mainly in principle and of
not that much practical value.

IOW, if I choose an iPaq based ETD, is what I gain in compactness
more than what I would lose in the sophistication in the tuning's
calculation. (Speaking as a 30+year aura tuner.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

".......true more in general than specifically"
     ...........Lenny Bruce, spoofing a radio discussion of the Hebrew
roots of Calypso music