Phillips Screws

Scott Jackson jurjens@tpg.com.au
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:28:21 +1000

Comments below.....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Meyer" <cmpiano@attbi.com>
To: "Scott Jackson" <jurjens@ozemail.com.au>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, 10 October 2002 2:29
Subject: Re: Phillips Screws

| We just had to adapt from inch to metric for automotive work, so all mechanics
| now need both.  Everytime something new comes out we need to have the new tool
| plus the old.  Sure makes the tool box heavier.

JUST had to adapt?????
We went metric in 1972 !!! Come on; how many years has the U.S.A. been importing
Asian vehicles for? Don't tell me that Honda, Toyota and Suzuki have been
putting 'English' screws in just for you guys?

| At one time I think Hewlett Packard used only Posidriv screws. Those are
| better than standard Phillips in that a screw can be stuck on the end of a
| screwdriver and it won't fall off with the driver horizontal.

Sounds like a good reason to use Posidriv screws in upright hammer flanges. For
the same reason that Ron Nossaman was recommending Robertson screws: No losing
of screws down in the action, or under keys etc. Now that would be an advantage
over a slot screw.

Scott Jackson
Jurjens Pianos
Wollongong Australia