Bridge cap materials

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:38:42 EDT

                List
                With really good supply's of maple almost extinct I find it
more and more difficult to be happy about the wide grain and fairly soft
stuff I get from my supplier. I'd like to see close grain and a strong
medullary ray that comes from true 1/4 sawn stock but this a rare occurance.
I also find it necessary to drill smaller bridge pin holes to get a tight
fit. I'm finding that whatever the supply house sells for the appropriate
size drill bits to give a less than snug enough fit. I use a small electric
drill to bore with as many of you do so I truly  techniques is not the
propblem IMHO.
          I'm going to slice up some delignit and test it for notching
,hardness and pin fit. Does any one have any experience with this idea
(odelignit or falconwood) and or similar to my complaints. Tell me I ain't
the only one, please!
                Dale Erwin