Bridge cap materials

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 10:58:42 -0500

>How does laminating maple at whatever angle affect its hardness - i.e. how
>is this better than solid quarter sawn stock?
>
>Terry Farrell

Hardness wasn't exactly the right word, but it was the quick one.
Resistance to compression is more what I had in mind. With quarter sawn
stock, the spacing of the annular rings will have a lot to do with it's
compressibility. As Dale noted, driving pins in a wide grained cap requires
a smaller hole than in a close grained cap for the same tightness. The wide
grain is more easily compressed. In quarter sawn stock, the rings are
parallel. Drive a pin in and wood of only a couple of rings is affected by
any one pin. Wood a couple of rings on either side will compress to
equalize the forces, taking away from that tight fit around the pin. The
wider the grain, the farther from the pin that compression equalization
spreads, and the less tight the pin will be for any given hole.

Laminating, even at a low cross ply angle, has the effect of increasing the
average density of annular rings for any given pin hole. Hard late wood
rings are locked one to the other in successive laminations. The rings
aren't parallel the length of the pin, so the compression gradients around
the pin in any given layer will be steeper, and won't extend out into the
surrounding wood as far. Even with flat sawn or rotary cut laminations,
this will be a factor, as well as the change in direction of the long grain
every lamination that should eliminate any tendency toward splitting. Each
lamination also soaked up a little glue during assembly, and is a bit less
compressible for that reason as well. You'll have a hard time driving a #7
(0.086") pin into a 0.81" hole like you would do with little problem in a
quarter sawn cap.

These caps also don't change thickness with humidity swings as much as a
solid cap (at least by my tests), so I'm anticipating they should age more
gracefully and produce fewer false beats through the years. But that
remains to be seen.

So far, I like it.

Ron N