Bridge cap materials

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:10:18 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/2002 8:56:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
RNossaman@cox.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Bridge cap materials
> Date:10/12/2002 8:56:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:RNossaman@cox.net">RNossaman@cox.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> >         How are you milling maple that thin?
> >         Dale
>
> The time consuming hard way, re-saw and thickness planer. If I was running
> a high volume operation or building pianos, I'd just buy a load of rotary
> cut maple and save a lot of time. I'd make my own pinblocks too, since I'd
> have all that nice maple lying around not being used up fast enough in
> bridges and caps. So for now, if I want to use a nice laminated cap that I
> can hand notch, I'm stuck with the milling.
>                                                               Ron N

                    Ron
                     If flat sawn material is exceptable then what about the
multi-lam. flat sawn Maple supply house blocks. I don't have any and am
curious as to what thickness the lams. are.
       I would think using this material would be labor saver and an
economical alternative even if not as optimal as the quarter sawn variety you
currently are manufacturing. Also with stock that thin (2mm) it tends to
split up in the planer when it hits grain that's running out towards the
surface. Do you find this?
        Tonally speaking do you find any observable aural (though probably
subjective) enhancement or deficit? I'm only looking for an opinion here.
Certainly the lack of false beats and the hardness around the top of the pin
should contribute to a very effiecent energy transmission resulting in a
solid tone. Oh yes and of course bridge integrity and longevity a big plus in
my book.
            Dale Erwin