Pinblock plugging, was something else

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:21:28 -0400

At 07:50 PM 9/13/2002 -0300, you wrote:
>Hi Alan,
>Section replacement, is ok, if there is a plate, that has been removed.
>I like the plugs, as the block is still secured in place.
>The block sectioned in with epoxy, would probably be ok. But I still
>prefer the plugs.
>Regards,
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia.

but you first need to make certain the laminations are in tact. Other wise
the plugs may not be securely held in place.

A few years ago replaced a 'plugged' block on a Bechstein. All the plugs
shifted as the laminations sheered.

I fit an inlay and constructed a new pin configuration starting with the
impressions in the counter bearing bar.  Since the tenor section
was curved, I laid out the pin orientation in a 'pineapple' sweep. It looks
rather nice.
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.