anyone heard of" MacMaster's Harmonic Tone Revealer"?

Stephen Airy stephenairy@fastmail.fm
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:58:18 UT

I know there is a beat locator card set that comes with the Randy Potter
course.  I don't know if it's related, but the 2 cards do have equivalent
harmonic notes highlighted on them.  You put them on the keyboard, and
the marks coincide with harmonics (up to the 10th) that go with certain
notes.  (example: C2, C3, G3, C4, E4, G4, A#4, C5, D5, E5).  For example,
if you put one card's fundamental at F3 and the other at C4, then F3's
harmonics are (F3), F4, C5, F5, and C4's are (C4), C5, ....

This also reminded me of another harmonic-related thing I'd like to see.
I would like to see a good computer program that can listen to a note
being played on a musical instrument, and determine the characteristics
of the harmonics.  I would assume such a program would be limited by the
quality of your microphone and/or sound card.  (My brother says FFT
(something fourier transform I think) would do it).  Also it'd be nice to
be able to extract certain sounds, or electronically alter the harmonics,
so you can experiment with different sounds.