Bridge cap materials

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 01:03:37 +1000

Hi all,

As usual I'm coming in on the tail end of the bridge cap material
discussion - just read all the contributions. I too, occasionally
have used rock maple which has resulted in less than satisfactory cap
material.

Ron Nossaman mentioned his technique of laminating at Reno. We have
been experimenting with the idea since then. Del mentioned the
practice of inverting every second lamination to achieve a slight
cross grain effect without wastage. We have been doing this also.
Currently, we are making our laminations out of quarter cut rock
maple (which is firstly resawn from wider slab cut boards). This is
resawn again to 2.5 mm thicknesses then reduced to 1mm laminations
with a drum sander. Our first laminated caps were ten laminations
thick but we are now using only six. The 1mm thick laminations are
glued together using West System epoxy. I am most impressed with the
incredible strength of these caps. They seem to be cleaner sounding
with less false beats and more powerfully toned than conventional
solid maple caps.

My thinking behind using only 1mm laminations is that often the
boards are dried too fast, which causes minute checks to form during
the drying process. These will often close during the final stages of
drying, but they are still there. When such a deficient piece is
converted into a solid bridge cap the results can be disastrous.
However, if it is converted into 1mm thick laminations, it appears
that the epoxy almost completely permeates the layers, gluing
together any minute checks which may or may not be present. I believe
this is the big benefit when using laminated caps, since the
laminated variety seem to be very resistance to splitting, and as Ron
N. mentioned, they also seem to have superior dimensional stability

Regards,
Ron O.
--

OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY