Pianotech Archives

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:36:24 -0600 (MDT)

>Did something happen to the pianotech archives? I have tried doing
>searches before and I would get results, but I would have to sort
>through a zillion unrelated posts to find the one I might be looking
>for. I tried it again for damper tray stuff and I got lots of damper
>tray stuff returned, and no garbage! Something wonderful appears to have
>happened!!! Was there indeed some major change?

All new software on an all new server, as of September 9th.  I agree
that the searching is much faster and more accurate.  When I was
selecting the newest software for the server, I actually had to give
up on the latest & greatest version of the search software -- it
had bugs that prevented it from working on a archives as large as
the pianotech archives.  So I had to "back off half a turn" to the
previous stable version of the searching software.  Seems pretty
good, as you've noticed.  I also think searching single messages
(i.e. the web pages for each individual post) produces way more
useful search results than the previous mechanism which searched
the majordomo digests.  I also gained an improvement in the archive
content by doing some serious filtering and processing of the
archives while moving them to the new server.  I had to actually
write programs to do this, since I could not find any tools that
would do what I needed :-(

-andy