Young Chang damper tray removal

Carol Beigel crbrpt@bellatlantic.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:28:46 -0400

This is often a problem with damper lever trays designed this way, and it
will probably happen again.  Kawai put out a technical paper several years
ago, how to do this repair without removing the dampers, and I suspect the
same will work for the Young Chang.

I have done this procedure a few times myself, and it takes less than an
hour once you get the hang of it.  The key is to have a LONGGGG screwdriver
and getting the upstop rail out of the way.

Unscrew the damper guide rails that are attached to the soundboard.  Unscrew
the upstop rail and push it upwards out of the way as far as it will go.
Removing it would be ideal.  Lift the damper guide rails and pull them
towards you so that the dampers are suspended above the underlever tray.
You can now access the underlever flanges front screws.  With a longgg
screwdriver, you can access the other tray screws from the strings.

Believe it or not, one of the most effective repairs I have seen was a
paperclip bent at the sides used for a center pin.  These pins heat up and
break during gospel and jazz use.  It is a very poor design feature, but
what are you going to do when the simplest, no breakage ever design is
already patented?  Of all the things I have seen on a Steinway grand piano,
the underlever tray mounting is one of the simplest and best systems - it
looks like a key balance pin mounted into the end of the tray and sticks
into a hole in the rim. What a way to go!

Carol Beigel