Bridge capping materials,etc.

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:14:04 -0700

From: "Paul E. Dempsey" <dempsey@Marshall.edu>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 14, 2002 6:02 AM
Subject: Bridge capping materials,etc.

> Would someone care to expand/expound on the air driven bridge notching
> tool alluded to earlier in this thread, e.i., where does one come by
> something of this ilk, cost, etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul Dempsey
> -------------------

Attached are three pictures of our bridge notching machine and one of a
bridge showing some finished cuts.

There is an air cylinder above controlled by a foot valve that raises and
lowers the cutter assembly. There is an aluminum plate that holds the bridge
down during the cutting operation. The cutter head and air motor are mounted
on linear bearing and slide in and out. An adjustable stop sets how far the
cutter travels and a hydraulic shock absorber limits the travel speed of the
assembly and keeps the cutter from climbing over the top of the bridge.

The machine works fairly well as is but I'm planning a major upgrade soon.
More precise vertical linear bearings are high on the list. Also, it was
originally intended to use a laser crosshair to index the bridge and it will
finally get that.

Del

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Bridge -- Notched 1-LR.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 16632 bytes
Desc: not available

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Bridge Notching Machine - Left Side-LR.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 43497 bytes
Desc: not available

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Bridge Notching Machine - Front-LR.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 38663 bytes
Desc: not available

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Bridge Notching Machine - Right Side-LR.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 36243 bytes
Desc: not available

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Bridge Notching Machine - Cutter Detail-LR.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 44032 bytes
Desc: not available