Piano Lac Finish

Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:51:15 -0400

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:14:07 EDT A440A@aol.com writes:
> Greetings,
>     At the suggestion of Jon Page, I have looked into the PIano Lac
>  finishing.  It all looks like a great improvement over lacquer, so I
> would be  interested in hearing from others that are using, or have
tried this
> particular product.  I am trying to get my refinisher to use a
> harder finish than the Campbell's lacquer he is presently accustomed
to, but
> people get set in their ways, sometimes. Maybe with several
testimonials, I can get
> a little more traction.
>   Piano Lac= Pitfalls?  Boons?  Caveats?
> Thanks,
> Ed Foote RPT

Hi Ed -

I am not a user of Pianolac, so I can't speak directly to your query.
However, I have sprayed water-based finishes exclusively over the past 9
years or so, after a dozen or more years of spraying nitro.  I wouldn't
even dream of going back, as I have been elated with the results:  a FAR
friendlier finishing environment, reduced cost of materials, reduced
insurance costs, quicker build, harder film, better clarity, faster cure.

That being said... it can be a very steep learning curve for the
life-long nitro finisher, and many is the time I have heard first-hand
accounts of horror stories from nitro guys trying it for the first time,
and consternation as to why in the world anyone would switch from
solvent-based to water-based.  To be honest, my primary reason was for a
better shop environment, and that is certainly an immediate reward.
After a year or two of learning new intuitions to "make it work", I also
came to appreciate the other film advantages as well, but many finsihers
could easily get discouraged enough along the way to climb back on the
horse that they are familiar with and leave the trail.

If you are unsuccessful with switching him over to water-based, how about
at least proposing a better solvent-based one?

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com