Supply house confidentiality on prices

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:30:57 -0700

>It seems to me that the only reason for complaint
>is that we don't want customers to know how much
>we mark up.

In any store I go to I have no idea what the wholesale price for a TV is, for instance.
I don't worry about it but I do look for the best price.  What we offer is speciality items.
Not something someone is going to be able to shop around for normally.  In SF we have
a quasi-supply house.  If people want to take the time to research something they can
probably get a better price than what I sell it for...who cares?  I sure don't.  Income from
parts/supplies is a very small part of my service income.  Once again I think it is confidence it what we do.
Have a policy and stick by it.  You will NEVER get every tuning or customer so why worry about it?

>What would happen if we let it all hang out, and just
>told them that we mark up X%? Is the markup defensible,
>or is it not? If the size of the markup doesn't embarrass
>us, there's no reason to worry -- just tell the
>customer that if they want to order the stuff directly,
>and Schaff will sell to them, go ahead -- but if they
>have a problem with it, or if it's too much nuisance
>for them to order it themselves, the cost of us handling
>it will be X. They already know that if they buy
>something in a store, the store bought it wholesale
>and marked it up. Why should it be different, buying
>from us?

If asked, I have no problem with letting them know I will make some profit from
my knowledge about quality products for whatever they are interested in.  The
idea that I would even suggest they can order something directly doesn't enter
my mind.  That does not compute in a for profit business...

>Sometimes we seem embarrassed even to be in business.
>Why should we?

See above...

>I believe it was Tuners Supply which issued a price
>list which included 100% markup. This always seemed
>sleazy to me, since the only reason I saw for it
>was to show to customers, to try to pretend to them
>that retail was wholesale. I'd much prefer for
>everyone to know exactly what was going on.

The only thing sleazy is your pretending the catalog prices were wholesale...Geez, Susan...
This makes me wonder if YOUR embarrassed to be in business...

>Just MHO.

>Susan

David I.

PS...sorry if I sound bitchy...but this business 101