bobble heads

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 23:18:29 EDT

In a message dated 10/15/02 7:03:02 PM Central Daylight Time, JIMRPT@aol.com
writes:

> In a message dated 15/10/02 6:48:11 PM, Wimblees@aol.com writes:
>
> << Some of them are checking, but only on a hard blow.
> The rest just bobble. New hammers, shanks and flanges. >>
>
> Wim check the rep window and make sure the old jacks are clearing the new
> knuckles.....
> just a thought..
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Wim, Jim has a good point and the fact of the matter is there could be lots
of reasons.  Rep spring adjustment, loose action frame screws, cracked action
rails, tight balancier pins, glazed tails, wrong backcheck height or angle,
low damper upstop rail, etc.  I had a major backcheck problem with a "B"
Steinway a short while back and even though I spent many hours trying to fix
it including calling some high level local technicians to no avail, only
recently have I come to a conclusion.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW