Piano Lac Finish

Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:36:31 -0400

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:26:07 -0700 (PDT) gordon stelter
<lclgcnp@yahoo.com> writes:
> How about giving us some info about how its done, if
> you please?
>      Thump

Hi Thump -

(To be clear, in the following reply I am not referring to Pianolac
specifically, a finish I have never tried, but rather to water-based
lacquer in general, and I HAVE used quite a few of them.)

Like riding a bike, I think you could read forever on the subject of
spraying and only gain insight by experience alone.  I think Dale's
experience illustrates what I was referring to rather succinctly.  "Stuff
just happens", and even more so when you are coming to something for the
first time.  In addition, the chemistry of the Water-based materials make
them a bit of an odd critter to spray if one has spent years spraying
solvent-based, making the application seem counter-intuitive in many
ways.  Basically most of it comes down to more control over your
technique with the gun, and attention to proper atomization of the
product.  I think the stuff is considerably less forgiving that way than
nitro, and only part of that is due to the high solids content of the
material.  Put another way, I guess you could say it is a more complex
finish.  "Spraying water-based 101" would be a class solely devoted to
not only learning how much material to apply in a pass, but would include
learning to know what it "looks like" on the surface when wet.  Your
experience from nitro tells you there is not nearly enough material on
there because it looks uneven, with craters and orange peel waiting to
rear their ugly heads.  The leveling takes place in a coalescing fashion
dissimilar from nitro, so it can be visually disconcerting.
Consequently, there is a tendency to apply either too little or too much
in compensation until you have had enough hands-on experience to tell you
otherwise.  Only by familiarizing yourself with the product by use would
you have any hope of becoming efficient with it, but to me it was well
worth the effort.  I have very few unpleasant surprises these days, and
certainly no more than one would have applying any finish.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com