key dip

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:54:29 +0200

> From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:25:10 +0200
> To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: To be or not to be:  a heavy hammer
>
> Yes, but your personal tastes are of no consequence to the matter at hand. I
> admit freely I like more moderate mass levels then some of my esteemed
> colleagues. Yet that doesn't mean I can show they are right or wrong for
> choosing otherwise. The same really applies to dip and other parameters. Fact
> is some folks just plain like a deeper dip then others, and its our job to
> identify these preferences and attempt to find an optimal regulation for that
> particular person, not impose some idea we personally have on these matters.
> If there is so far, any standard for optimal control, then the  balance of FW,
> SW, and R as per the balance equation must be the best we have seen yet. But
> within the scope of what that formula allows, you can allow yourself quite a
> wide degree of freedom in the choice of SW's. Indeed..... that is the whole
> point. Different mass levels provide different tonal results. Whatever mass
> levels you personally prefer is of course your own affair. SALUT !! grin. But
> once chosen, optimal spread geometry first, followed by an optimization of
> action balance will result in a very fine and very even touch and pleasant
> sound.

I have this strong urge Richard, ma bud.....
That's why I react right now.

I personally have come to the conclusion that there is actually just one key
dip and that key dip is 10 mm sharp, and no more than 10 mm.
All piano makers in the world have a key dip of 10 mm except the earlier
Pleyels, Blüthners and modern Steinways.... although, when I had my lessons
at Steinway the head technician at the regulation department told me that he
thought a key dip of less than 10 mm on any Steinway was bloody baloney.

I base my opinion on 30 years of regulation with special thanks to the
Yamaha corporatation.
I have never ever encountered so much precision and discipline as in the
Yamaha factory. It would be very very good for the techs at Steinway if they
could only follow the 'basic grand piano course' in Hamamatsu, if only to
learn again what discipline and perfection is all about.
In regard to making key dip : I had to train one whole week to learn what a
perfect key dip is.
After that, when I read about various key dips, I always feel this urge to
open up the magic box and type in the words I just type in.

Most elevated and friendly greetings.....

from

Antares,

Amsterdam, Holland

"where music is, no harm can be"