Bridge cap materials

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:04:08 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/2002 2:10:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Bridge cap materials
> Date:10/16/2002 2:10:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>
>              Terry

                     I did a test this afternoon as I was working on a
bridge. I took a piece of maple with 27 grains an inch and one that had 6. I
drilled a whole in each for a no. 8 bridge pin. It took about twice the force
of the hammer to drive the pin in the tight grain piece. I then drove each
pin back and forth twice and the tight grain piece stayed much tighter than
the other.
  As Ron said the other day if you use the wider grain stuff it compresses
more, and drilling a smaller hole will obviously be required.
   I personally like maple. I've learned to notch it and read it so I'll be
looking for my own sources and resaw my own as I once did. Or maybe we can
get some Chinese/asian firm to make the laminated cap stuff and sell it to us
all reeaall cheap.
         Dale