Bluebook: was "need help on an appraisal"

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 07:51:19 -0400

Friends,

I bought the "'Original' Bluebook of Pianos" maybe two years ago.  I reviewed it
on this list at that time, but since trying to use the archives frustrated me
once, I will not encourage you to go there.  You may, of course.

On the positive side I'm glad I bought it.  It has information on old pianos and
some less common brands that may not be available anywhere else.  About half of
the book has such information on pianos from 1889 to 2000.

On the negative side, in reading the descriptions it would be easy to believe
that at least some of them are based on advertising literature put out by the
manufacturing companies.  The approximately 1" thick book is in 8.5" X 11"
format inside a heavier softbound cover, one of those where you punch holes in
the pages and hold everything together with a metal contraption.  Since a few of
my pages seem to be out of order or even missing, it appears the books may be
put together by hand, and not very carefully.

There are several other sections.  One is titled "Price schedule for used pianos
based on condition."  There follow five columns of dollar figures -- R&R, Refur,
excel, good, fair.  My biggest hangup with this section is that there is no
differentiation by age.  For instance, can we really believe that a Becker Bros.
5'2" piano in fair condition is worth $3,500?  Maybe, if it's a grand, but it
might be an upright.  The book does not make that distinction.  I don't even
know if Becker Bros. made grands.  I've never seen one, although I do service
some uprights.

Is it a reputable publication?  Doubtful.  It certainly does not look
professional.  As I said above, I'm glad I bought one, but I wouldn't put much
faith in it.

Regards,
Clyde