Bridge cap materials

Mike and Jane Spalding mjbkspal@execpc.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:35:31 -0500

In the journal reprint book on bridges and soundboards, there is an article by Bill Spurlock describing his method for using epoxy on bridgetops.  It goes in the holes before driving pins, then is spread over the top and the notches.   Lacquer thinner is then brushed over the top to remove excess resin, and to help the resin penetrate the wood.  Article's pretty old, don't know if he's still doing it this way.  At the time he said he was doing this to every piano he rebuilt, both on the original bridge and on replacements/recaps.

Mike Spalding RPT