Key Dip

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:45:52 -0700

If it's one thing I have learned, lo these many years. Don't Get Hung Up On
Numbers, when it comes to Regulation. If you do, you will enevitably shoot
yerself in the foot. <G> I have done several pianos, (pre 1850), that have a
DIP of 1/4"!! This can be varified in the little book by Faust. When
"pianists" play on such a piano, they experience a whole new playing
experience and are generally delighted with the "Shallow" dip, as it allows
them to trill and articulate much faster.  It has been said, by many, that
the dip in modern pianos is too much. Especially for fast articulate pieces.
The dip has increased as manufacturers continue to make the actions beefier
and meaner, IMHO. All this, I believe, in order to make the piano LOUDER. My
personal feeling is, they have gone over the edge, creating objects that
don't even begin to sound like a decent pianos. Not to mention the ever
present "Carpal Tunnel" problems these beasts create. Food for thought.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)