Another glue in the mix

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:39:28 -0700

FWIW, I use liquid hide glue to attach any action parts or case parts where
the old glue can't be cleaned out. The trick, if you will, is to ask your
client for a coffee mug with the hottest water available. Put the glue
container in the hot water, while you are extracting shanks,
fitting/drilling hammer heads, etc. By the time you have everything
dry-fitted, the glue will be warm. Put the parts together with the warm
glue. You will be suprised at how fast that stuff sets up. <G> Usually, in a
tuning situation/replace a couple of shanks situation, by the time you are
done tuning, (excluding you speedy Gonzales types), the glue will have set
up sufficiently to  play those notes, without the hammer moving out of
alignment. This is my way of doing it and I haven't had a bad situation,
yet. [G]
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)