Upright Side Removal

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 00:32:14 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: October 17, 2002 4:44 AM
Subject: Re: Upright Side Removal

> The sides of my M&H popped off reasonably easily with three small/medium
old chisels. I don't think there was one square inch of glue joint that gave
way. Most separation occurred between the side cores and the two inner
facing veneer laminations. A few spots of frame broke out, and a few good
chunks of side core broke away. The hide glue joint did not fail. So what
difference would it make if you used white glue (Titebond)? For that matter,
why not epoxy?

Some, perhaps even most, will come off this way. Others don't no matter how
hard you hit and chisel. The sides will break first. Having learned this the
hard way if they do not come off fairly easily after a few good blows with a
lead-weighted rubber hammer I now cut them off. It's reasonably fast and
neat and poses no problems with gluing them back on. A couple of large
dowels top and bottom--that's what dowel centers are for--and they go back
on clean and square.

Del