a different interpretation of 'tone', or 'color'.

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:30:53 -0600

Hi Antares,

I don't think I can agree that there are "perfect" anythings. Machine or
not we are still the frog on the log that can jump 1/2 to the end...on any
jump. We just get closer and closer. The Verituner seems to be an excellent
tool. If it were "perfect" however, there would be no need for the end user
to "customize" the tuning curves it produces. Tunelab Pro, RCT, and SAT 3
all offer customization as well. That means the technician must have "good
taste".

I agree that tuning devices are wonderful tools. I *don't* agree that
learning to tune by "ear" to concert level should be a requirement simply
because those tools are so very very refined. It should be a goal to strive
towards.

Perhaps all technicians should at least be competetant musicians as a goal
as well. This would tend imho to improve our "taste".

I'd love to have had the wonderful training you have received.
Unfortunately, not many of us get the opportunities you have had.

Regards,
Don Rose, B.Mus., A.M.U.S., A.MUS., R.M.T., R.P.T. Tuner for the Center of
the Arts

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca

http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.