Freebies: was Re: only aural tunings are good

Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:49:18 -0500

Ron N,

At 17:50 10/18/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>I don't trust freebies when I'm tuning. I don't know where they've been,
>or the relative tensions of string segments, until I've moved them. After
>listening to one too many fine sounding strings drop drastically in pitch
>on a medium hard blow, and following one too many tuners the week after
>they had tuned to find the same sort of thing, I tune each and every
>string (or at least attempt to).

I don't trust freebies, either.  I _am_ happy when the note blushes when I
call on it, but I still do a hard blow to see if it is stable.

I tend to think of the ETD like power steering...    I'm still in control,
I get where I want to go and I'm not as tired when I get there.

When I get to do those triple tunings, I know my ear will be the final
arbiter, but I'll have less to do with the groundwork the ETD has done.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Decorah, Ia.  mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
then used against you.