Cut-Off Bar Attachment & Floating Rim

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:04:19 -0400

Should a cut-off bar (also called a dumb bar, I think) be attached to the backpost? I have one that has one end on top of middle-fo-the-piano backpost and the other end at the side/edge post. It crosses over another backpost. It is not attached at all - although you could only slip a piece of paper in between them. I should think this a possible source for a buzz. But more importantly, I should think it advantageous to attach the cut-off bar as securely as is possible, and anywhere possible. Is there any reason to have it floating next to an available backpost?

Also, at the treble end of this upright I am working on (same M&H as my other recent posts), the maple rim floats between two backposts at the extreme treble. One could epoxy in a big hunk of hard wood and effectively bond the rim to the pinblock and to the backposts. I thought it was critical to have the most secure rim possible in this area. The rim is approximately 1" x 2" in this area. Wouldn't it be a good idea to beef this up?

Terry Farrell