a different interpretation of tone or color

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:11:42 +0200

Hello and Happy Birthday, Richard !

I believe the 10mm rule (or conclusion) mean that this dip is the most
comfortable as a generality.

May be some very large handed pianists could (if they where aware of)
ask for a keyboard regulation at a different dip/level, but I like the
logic to work with a comfortable dip, and regulate the remaining of
the action to concur.

I've never seen a pianist checking the dip, always they check the
aftertouch to see if it please them, most educated then know they can
ask for a little aftertouch change in a little time.

I regulated a S&S b last week, that had Abel heads on it. The heads
where too tall, and the tails too long.
Working with 10 mm was not an applicable solution (while I tried at
first), as I obtained too much aftertouch, with the long tails the
touch became very bad.

But I hade it working at 9.85mm , shanks almost on the cushions, and
that was the less bad I could obtain.

If regulated at 9.5 (factory spec) , not enough sound, and an action
that lack responsiveness.

Old Schimmel grand's where intended for 10.25 or 10.5, Kaway are said
for 10.25, but if you change the soft punching for better (more firm)
ones, you can regulate to 10 mm dip, and you recognize immediately
that you have the correct touch on these strange actions.

Anyway again I discover how much time is lost in regulation when
incorrect parts have been fitted.

Regards.

Have a nice Sunday

Isaac OLEG