a - personal - explanation to avoid misunderstandings.

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:11:35 +0200

Hello Jim and list,

It was never my intention to bring in matters of principal or personal views
on this list.
When I wrote what I wrote about white glue in the first place, it was in
reaction to another subscriber who spoke about this matter.
It is further inevitable that, as subscriber this list, that, more or less,
something of our personal background comes forward by writing e-mails to
each other.

By reacting to the person who started to talk about this issue I actually
wished to bring forward the fact that we (Grand Piano in Holland) have an
interesting alternative (for gluing hammer heads only) for several animal
derived glues and I summed up some aspects of animal glues that I -
personally - do not like.
That was probably not very intelligent of me, I agree, and maybe I should
have avoided mixing my personal opinion with piano related matters on this
list, but on the other hand, then I could never have written my views on the
issue of ETD's and aural tuning or about my personal view on tone color etc
etc, because that is a written account based on the person called me.

Also, when I expressed my thoughts on animal derived glues, I did not
venture any negative thoughts about people who do like to use those glues or
do like to use dead animals...it did not even come to my mind at that very
moment.
Furthermore, as I have spent years developing/finding this white hammer glue
I was talking about before, it is understandable that I, in my enthusiasm,
bring this up as an alternative glue for gluing hammers because it IS a very
good alternative, and quite a few piano manufacturers like Bösendorfer,
Yamaha, Schimmel, the Koreans, Kawai etc. use white glue for their hammers.
I also found out that factories, igenerally speaking, do not want to tell me
what glue they use or where they get it from, which I can understand.
They do not want to sell it either, so I had to do it on my own, and I
succeeded.

And that is precisely what I meant when I wrote the email you refer to, and
why I feel that it is maybe not necessary to go any further into this
matter.

I hope this answer satisfies you.

friendly greetings
from