Spring behavior

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:14:27 +0200

Hello,

Good points about the repetition speed , my theory have some lead in
the wings (translated from French , may be shot in the feet is OK ?).

My thought was that the graphite grease in the springs slot, as well
as the mutton tallow that is used on the key pins in some factories,
can well be the artifacts that helps to even the action feel, or act
as a security towards repetition, while not allowing to repeat so fast
than in optimum configuration.

For sure they slow things in the 2 cases, but the final feel is then
more even, despite the irregularities in pinning , BW, and differences
in ratio from note to note.

I had the bad surprise on some actions after cleaning of the slot and
the spring, to be obliged to re pin more than expected to obtain a
more even touch.
Sure the springs are too strong immediately when we clean the
graphite, but the jack's return will be less fast, as you point out,
with a less strong spring.

The slowliness in the balance lever induced by the spring add a delay
that allows to be sure that the jack/roller contact is more secure,
because more tension goes towards the jack.

For sure a very objectionable reason & method.

For the key pins in particular, I always clean them, and use only
Teflon actually but I believe the little grease that stay at the
balance hole helps to maintain the key in place when the hole is
almost pulley, that is why this mutton tallow is so much used actually
in repairs.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

is in place first