a different interpretation of 'tone', or 'color'.

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:34:18 -0700

>A perfect electronic tuning device will give you the perfect pitch for every
>note to be tuned.  The tuning offered us through this perfect tuning device
>is exactly what about 99.9 % of all - piano - tuners in the world are
>striving for and It gives us the blissful quick answer to a very complicated
>Chinese puzzle.
I don't know if that's true until I hear your tuning with your "perfect
machine."
When I follow fresh ETD tunings by very capable people, I find it's NOT
the
"perfect pitch for every note to be tuned."

>I think it is necessary for every tuning apprentice / student / professional
>to first tune thousands of pianos aurally in order to get trained properly,
>develop a tuning 'ear' and so know by instinct how to make a decent tuning.
>In that case, when the battery of the ETD is low he/she can continue solving
>the Chinese puzzle.
Not only that, but it's crucial to train your ear; it's crucial to
really, really listen;
it's crucial to FEEL like a craftsman, with a legacy---tuning IS
music---and not just a machine operator.

>To make a - really - perfect tuning aurally, in one hour, is virtually
>impossible.
I agree; but 1.5 hours, no problem for me.  A pleasure, actually.  When
it becomes a burden, I'll fly to Amsterdam and you can show me how to use
your magic box, if you would honor me that way.

> For that we need a perfect tuning machine, and they now exist.
>To make a - really - perfect tuning aurally costs a lot of time, at least
>hours, and takes very much concentration and energy. Many of us know this,
>and they also know that after four of these 'perfect' concert tunings we are
>ready for 'home', and almost total loss.
After 6-10 hours of intense focus on ANY kind of work---pianowork,
writing, performing, recording---
I need a break, and "home," and if not a "total loss," then certainly
depleted and needing to be recharged.

>Of each unison I tune the middle string according to what the ETD tells me.
>Than I shut off my 'magic box' and the 'artistic' or 'ear work' starts :
>I tune the remaining strings and make the best tone possible by listening
>with my musical ear and thereby choosing the right moment where the unison
>is at its most beautiful.
>Every tuner. every human being, has a different interpretation of 'tone', or
>color and therefor every tuner will create a different 'tone' on the same
>instrument.
Absolutely right on; the great tuners I've heard all have a subtle sonic
"style."

>This is something an ETD can not do for us and that is the mistake ETD
>antagonists make, they think the ETD replaces the ear! but that is not the
>case.
>The very smart ETD is a very smart short cut to the 'right' pitch, and no
>more.
For you, fantastic. For me, no.  There is no right or wrong here, only
different humans, and respect
for customized, personalized craft.

>The ear chooses the personal moment of beauty, based on personal musicality
>and musical experience in general.
Yes.

>friendly greetings
>from