"Thump"...??????

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:53:06 -0700 (PDT)

"But seriously folks....." for years I have played
ragtime and stride piano professionally, from the back
of a highly modified E-100 van, called the
"Thumpmobile". We cut out the back 3/4 with a blow
torch, and built a box with sides that open up and are
supported by poles ( the physical object, NOT the
nationality!!!
     My favorite pianos for this have been late 20's
studio uprights, for their light, responsive actions
which do not tear out my tendons, even after the 6th
rendition of "Maple Leaf".
     Originally I called this: "Professor Euphonious
Thump and his Terpsichoral Ten", but that confused
people, so now it just says "Dr.Thump" on the sides
( and most people mis-read that "Dr.Thumb". Oh well! )
     My real name: "Gordon Lee Stelter" just doesn't
look right on a marquee! I love my folks, but I think
they wanted a law firm instead of a son ( 3 last
names).
     Thanks!
     Thump

P.S. I WAS, though, apparently named after the player
piano in my grandmothers' basement: "Gordon & Co., New
York"....with a boar's head for an emblem. Oh well.
Can't win 'em all!

"We're all here.....because we're not all there."